Most recipes I make are semi-homemade. I like to make part of it from scratch and then just use a good store bought for the rest. It just makes it easier than making every single ingredient homemade plus saves on time. For this recipe the obvious homemade choice is meatballs. I've literally eaten them every single day since I made them. Spaghetti and meatballs. Shaved brussels and meatballs. Meatballs and potatoes. Meatball sandwich. Ok, I sound like the guy off Forest Gump, you know with the shrimp?.........I digress.
Just trust me, these are worth the effort. (don't forget a good cab to compliment it! my current fave below...found at Target or Publix)
- 1 package bucatini pasta (spaghetti-like noodle but thicker with hole thru the middle) - if it's necessary that this be a low carb meal -use spiralized zucchini or butternut squash noodles
- 2 jars Rao's Homemade pasta sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped, fresh parsely
- 1/2 lb ground veal
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 c fresh white breadcrumbs (4 slices, crusts removed)
- 1/4 c seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 c freshley grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 extra-large egg, beaten
- vegetable oil
- olive oil
Pour equal amounts of vegetable oil and olive oil into a large (12-inch) skillet to a depth of 1/4-inch. Heat the oil. Very carefully, in batches, place the meatballs in the oil and brown them well on all sides over medium-low heat, turning carefully with a spatula or a fork. This should take about 10 minutes for each batch. Don't crowd the meatballs. Remove the meatballs to a plate covered with paper towels. Discard the oil but don't clean the pan.
Add 2 jars of the pasta sauce to the pan, scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula stir well and return the meatballs to the sauce, cover, and simmer on the lowest heat for about 10 min until the meatballs are cooked through. Serve hot on cooked spaghetti with grated Parmesan and parsley.
(then use for leftover with a hoagie roll and mozzerella - toast and top with hot meatballs. Or spiralize zucchini noodles and eat with meatballs for a lower carb option.)