These bars are a great make-ahead breakfast that store well in the fridge all week. Just pop one out, microwave it, and you're ready to go. The oats are a great source of healthy carbs to fuel your morning and help stabilize blood sugar levels, chia and hemp seeds to provide you with essential Omega-3 fatty acids and fiber, and the almonds on top add a nice little crunch!
**I doubled the recipe so I could make thicker, bigger bars to eat post-workout as my breakfast. But you could always follow the recipe as-is and have as a snack post-workout or during the day.
WHAT YOU NEED
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup (or maple syrup/agave nectar)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon unrefined coconut oil (not melted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 scoop plain/vanilla protein powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup (or maple syrup/agave nectar)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup crushed almonds (or any kind of nut)
- raw honey to drizzle
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9in square pan with parchment paper and lightly grease with nonstick spray or coconut oil.
- In a mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, mix the banana, brown rice syrup, applesauce, coconut oil and vanilla extract until smooth. Mix in the oats, protein powder, cinnamon and salt until well combined. Mixture will be wet. Transfer the base layer into the square pan. Smooth it out with a spatula and press down evenly. Bake for 9-11 minutes.
- In the same mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the topping layer until well combined. Remove the pan from oven.
- Pour topping layer over and spread it out evenly, pressing it down into the base layer with a spatula. Bake for an additional 15 minutes. Allow the bars to cool and set for 15-20 minutes before slicing the squares and drizzle with honey. Store in refrigerator.